In light of my last post (here), I decided to look around on the web and find out what other competitive eating mishaps and tragedies have occurred throughout the world. Below is a listing of what I found, with the few minutes that I decided to devote to this endeavor:
1) Boris Isayev, who died in West Russia, eating 43 banana-creme-filled pancakes during Pancake Week (here).
2) A 23-year old Taiwanees student known as “Chen,” who died eating buns filled with rice and cheese during Dayeh University’s “Big Stomach King” contest (here).
3) Mort Hurst, the Moon Pie-Eating Champion, who had a stroke after eating 38 softboiled eggs in 29 seconds (here).
4) Takeru Kobayashi, the Nathan’s Hotdog Eating Champion, who suffered a devestating bout of TMJ (here).
5) Jennifer Strange, who died of water intoxication at the ‘Hold Your Wee for Wii’ comptetion (here).
6) Marc Quinquadon, a Frenchman who died competitively eating snails.
None of these hold a candle to Mr. Eddie “Bozo” Miller, who made it to old age and who none of us would have ever heard about without the amazing power of the Internet. Bozo actually made it into the Guinness Book of World Records and lived to a ripe old age, with the following accomplishments under his belt: He ate 27 2-pound roast chickens at one sitting, drank 2 quarts of liquor in an hour, ate 400 raviolis in a single sitting, and ate 30 pounds of elk meat loaf (here).
Now you know.